Learning Java by Building Android Games – Explore Java Through Mobile Game Development
£31.99 (as of February 18, 2018, 7:14 am) & FREE Shipping. Details
- Acquaint yourself with Java and object-oriented programming, from zero previous experience
- Build four cool games for your phone and tablet, from retro arcade-style games to memory and education games, and gain the knowledge to design and create your own games too
- Walk through the fundamentals of building games and use that experience as a springboard to study advanced game development or just have fun
Android is the fastest growing operating system (OS) with one of the largest installed bases of any mobile OS. Android uses one of the most popular programming languages, Java, as the primary language for building apps of all types. So, you should first obtain a solid grasp of the Java language and its foundation APIs to improve the chances of succeeding as an Android app developer.
This book will show you how to get your Android development environment set up and you will soon have your first working game. The difficulty level grows steadily with the introduction of key Java topics such as loops, methods, and OOP. You’ll then use them in the development of games. You will learn how to build a math test game, a Simon-like memory game, a retro pong-style game, and for the grand finale, a Snake-style, retro arcade game with real Google Play leaderboards and achievements. The book has a hands-on approach and is packed with screenshots.
What You Will Learn
- Set up an efficient, professional game development environment in Android Studio
- Build your very own Android UI using easy to-use tools in Android Studio
- Add real-time interaction with Java threads and implement locking/handling screen rotation, pixel graphics, clicks, animation, sound FX, and many other features in your games
- Explore object-oriented programming (OOP) and design scalable, reliable, and well-written Java games or apps on almost any Android device
- Build and deploy a graphical pong-style game using advanced OOP concepts
- Explore APIs and implement advanced features such as online leaderboards and achievements using Google game services
- Make your game compelling to be the next big hit on Google Play market with a content update strategy and in-game marketing
About the Author
John Horton is a technology enthusiast based in UK. When he is not writing apps, books, or blog articles for Game Code School, he can usually be found playing computer games or indulging in a Nerf war.
Table of Contents
- Why Java, Android, and Games?
- Getting Started with Android
- Speaking Java Ã¢â ¬â Your First Game
- Discovering Loops and Methods
- Gaming and Java Essentials
- OOP Ã¢â ¬â Using Other People’s Hard Work
- Retro Squash Game
- The Snake Game
- Making Your Game the next Big Thing
Frequently Bought Together
Historic Photos of Mobile
£44.95(as of February 18, 2018, 7:47 am) & FREE Shipping. Details Buy product
The Everything Guide to Mobile Apps: A Practical Guide to Affordable Mobile App Development for Your Business£17.95 (as of February 18, 2018, 7:44 am) & FREE Shipping. Details Buy product
Web Cartography: Map Design for Interactive and Mobile Devices
£104.95(as of February 18, 2018, 8:01 am) & FREE Shipping. Details Buy product